PDA

View Full Version : See how many apply to you

Big Daddy
10-21-2003, 02:20 PM
You think the primary purpose of wings is to PREVENT flight.

You take your helmet along when you go to buy new eyeglasses or check out cars.

You are happiest when your street car's tires are worn to racing depth and the wear bars are showing.

When something falls off of your car, you wonder how much weight you just saved.

Your email address refers to your race car rather than to you. (Or license plate)

You've paid $4.00 a gallon for gas without complaining.

You bought a race car before buying a house.

You bought a race car before buying furnityre for your new house.

You're looking for a tow vehicle and still haven't bought furniture!

The requirements you give you real estate agent are (in order of importance):

1.) 8 car climate controlled garage with attached shop.
2.) Outside parking for 6 cars, a motor home, a crew cab dually, a 28' enclosed trailer and a 34' 5th wheel.
3.) 3 phase 220V outlets in the garage for your welder.
4.) A grease pit.
5.) Deaf neighbors.
6.) Some sort of house with a working toilet and shower on the property - or - hookups for the motor home.

You sit in your race car in a dark garage and make noises and shift and practice you heel and toe, while waiting for your motor to get back from the machine shop.

You have enough spare parts to build another motor/car.

More than one racer supply store recognizes your voice and greets you by name when you call.

You think the last line of the Star Spangled Banner is: 'Racers start your engines!'

People know you by your class, car number and car color.

Your family brings the couch into the garage to spend time with you.

A neighbor asks if you have any oil, to which you query, 'Synthetic or organic?' and they reply, 'Vegetable or corn.'

You enjoy driving in the rain on the way to work.

You always want to change something on your street car to make it handle better.

You've tried to convince your wife you needed that flow bench to fix the air filter on her station wagon.

You save broken car parts as 'mementos'.

You've found your lawnmower runs pretty good on 108 octane gas.

The local police and state highway patrol have a picture of your car taped to their dashboard.

You quote your street tire wear life in weeks rather than miles.

After you tell your wife where you'd like to go on vacation she answers: 'Why...is there a race there?'

You understand driving is a way of life, not just a means of transportation.

You wash your car like it was your firstborn child, you tend to its needs like it was your own body, you protect it like it's your family, then you DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!

I know most of these apply to me so which ones apply to you??

Big Daddy
10-21-2003, 02:20 PM
You think the primary purpose of wings is to PREVENT flight.

You take your helmet along when you go to buy new eyeglasses or check out cars.

You are happiest when your street car's tires are worn to racing depth and the wear bars are showing.

When something falls off of your car, you wonder how much weight you just saved.

Your email address refers to your race car rather than to you. (Or license plate)

You bought a race car before buying a house.

You bought a race car before buying furnityre for your new house.

You're looking for a tow vehicle and still haven't bought furniture!

The requirements you give you real estate agent are (in order of importance):

1.) 8 car climate controlled garage with attached shop.
2.) Outside parking for 6 cars, a motor home, a crew cab dually, a 28' enclosed trailer and a 34' 5th wheel.
3.) 3 phase 220V outlets in the garage for your welder.
4.) A grease pit.
5.) Deaf neighbors.
6.) Some sort of house with a working toilet and shower on the property - or - hookups for the motor home.

You sit in your race car in a dark garage and make noises and shift and practice you heel and toe, while waiting for your motor to get back from the machine shop.

You have enough spare parts to build another motor/car.

More than one racer supply store recognizes your voice and greets you by name when you call.

You think the last line of the Star Spangled Banner is: 'Racers start your engines!'

People know you by your class, car number and car color.

Your family brings the couch into the garage to spend time with you.

A neighbor asks if you have any oil, to which you query, 'Synthetic or organic?' and they reply, 'Vegetable or corn.'

You enjoy driving in the rain on the way to work.

You always want to change something on your street car to make it handle better.

You've tried to convince your wife you needed that flow bench to fix the air filter on her station wagon.

You save broken car parts as 'mementos'.

You've found your lawnmower runs pretty good on 108 octane gas.

The local police and state highway patrol have a picture of your car taped to their dashboard.

You quote your street tire wear life in weeks rather than miles.

After you tell your wife where you'd like to go on vacation she answers: 'Why...is there a race there?'

You understand driving is a way of life, not just a means of transportation.

You wash your car like it was your firstborn child, you tend to its needs like it was your own body, you protect it like it's your family, then you DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!

I know most of these apply to me so which ones apply to you??

Driver_chick
10-21-2003, 04:38 PM
All bar the whole wifey thing. (Me being of the female variety and not gulible enough to not let husband get flow bench he desires...)

My family over summer, when I get home from uni and SAE is having very MINI break before starting again, have decided to install the couch, TV, Video and Playstation 2 in our 2 car garage due to the fact that I'm rebuilding my Formula Vee 1200 engine, helping to rebuild my sister's mini with 1275(Maybe going a bit bigger...) and looking into building my little brother a MotoKhana mini with 1100 or 1275... Mmmmmm... Can't wait. Holidays @ Oran Park, Eastern Creek and Wakefield Park! It's gunna be the BEST holiday of my life! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Ahhhh... Sweet family time...

Andy K
10-27-2003, 10:49 AM
"You've found your lawnmower runs pretty good on 108 octane gas."

I'm pretty close to that one... The spare pushmower will soon receive a homemade supercharger.

Andris Kanins
McGill Racing Team
2002/2003 Body Design
2003/2004 Suspension

Big Daddy
10-27-2003, 11:03 AM
Are you using the old smog pump trick? I know first hand that that works. Just make sure not to over-rev it.

acracker
10-27-2003, 03:16 PM
How did you guys do the supercharger, Blow through or suck through? Right now I have a smog pump off a ford that will support blow through and one of an Isuzu pickup that has an inlet and outlet port.
I'm planning on using the ford pump and pressurizing the carb and fuel tank now, I just haven't made anything for it yet.

Big Daddy
10-27-2003, 04:02 PM
From my experience it is best to put the carb first so you dont accidently push the fuel out of the carb and start blowing air into the tank. Either one will work for this set up because they both should have an inlet and an out let even though they may not be obvious becasue every pump has to have an inlet and outlet. Belt driven boost is so nice!! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JonBoy
10-28-2003, 01:52 AM
Provided you warm her up nicely (metho works well), an old Briggs mower goes ballistic running on kerosene. I dont know what this does to gaskets and seals, but it smells pretty.

A Reinke
10-28-2003, 08:31 PM
my mom threw away the brigs and stratton 3.5 HP old push mower lawn mower i had sitting in the shed...the engine ran great, we got a new pusher and didn't need it...i always wanted to do something with it... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Big Daddy
10-29-2003, 05:34 AM
If you look at it Briggs are some of the simplest engines to work on and they are quite reliable. I am working on building a 16hp V-twin to hope fully around 70 hp. gonna use fuel injection, electronic ignition, Ally fly wheel, billet rods and lighten pistons, oversized valves and one of the biggest port jobs you have ever seen. Hopefully it will be done by next febuary As a lack of funds has it sitting at a near stand still. And before anyone tells me it cant be done Clements racing www.clementsracing.com (http://www.clementsracing.com) has already built one simular with 65hp except they used carbs and the stock magneto ignition which is fixed meaning no advance and retard availible. So there is a good chance that I will make more than 65 with EFI and Ignition. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

"A woman is a lot like a beer, they look good, smell good, and you would run over your own mother to get one." Homer Simpson

Angry Joe
10-29-2003, 06:18 PM
Sounds like bandwagon time! You might be an FSAE'er if...

- You've pocketed a toggle switch bracket to save weight

- You use the word "bung hole" in a sentence without laughing

- You have knowingly eaten a sandwich covered in motor oil

- You think .049 wall tube is beefy

- You have considered, even if only for a moment, machining your own transmission case

- You have driven a car with only a water pressure gauge on the instrument panel, and it didn't work

- Over the course of a week, you've made more visits to Pep Boy's than you have to the bathroom

- You have helped carry a car up a flight of stairs

Lehigh Formula SAE Alumni
Team Captain 2002-2003

www.lehigh.edu/~insae/formula (http://www.lehigh.edu/~insae/formula)

Big Daddy
10-30-2003, 05:30 AM
Nice I think those aply to almost everyone on this site. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

"A woman is a lot like a beer, they look good, smell good, and you would run over your own mother to get one." Homer Simpson

Nobody is born with a steering wheel or a gear shift in his hand. It's something you choose to do or you don't.
Mario Andretti (1977)

mike240z
11-04-2003, 07:51 PM
Almost all of those apply to me Big Daddy. I have a collection of cars, and don't have my own house. My parents bought a 2nd house with lots of sheds cos they wanted some more room, but now all those sheds are full of my car parts aswell. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
My dad wants me to get my own tow vehicle, instead of stealing his, so I am looking for a crew cab dually, which I will then use as my every day vehicle (the 240z will only get used on weekends). I should almost be able to fit my formula vee in the back of the dually, and then the zed can be towed on a trailer.

Driver_chick- I also have a 1200 Vee. How long has your engine been out? I hope you're not planning on converting to 1600. Let me know if you plan on racing interstate. Did you see the last round of the NSW championship on TV the other day? I noticed there was at least one female driver.

Driver_chick
11-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Hey there Mike.
My 1200 comes out as soon as exams are done (ie; after the 23rd of November), for a total rebuild with ABSOLUTLY no chance of me going to a 1600 for 4 reasons...
1. No money
2. My Vee will be Historic in a couple of years which in normal racing terms is really poor, but in Vees I spose you can get away with being a mid field runner. And anyways, My Vee is a NG Elfin in absolute Mint condition (Till I take it out next season... hhehehe...), so when the proper historic category is started here in NSW we can sell ours to an old guy for a bit... well, enough with extra funding, to upgrade to a Jacer, which is what I want... But Dad wants to build his own so both of us can race it... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif So...
3. My Dad won't let me upgrade to 1600
4. My first full season of Vee's and I don't want to kill myself... hehehehe... As if!

I didn't catch the Vee's on telly cos I was here in the Gong and don't get to watch much TV anymore due to SAE, uni and college stuff. The chick you saw was most probably NSW state runner Jessica in her Polar or whatever she has upgraded to now that her polar is on the NSW site for sale.

I did happen to meet quite a few VEE chicks who pretty much run the NSW show, at the NSW VEE driver training day at Wakefield park. They were almost crying for joy as they heard that there was another chick joining the category!

Well... Hope to catch up with you in Adelaide in a few days!!! (Arugh! ONLY A FEW DAYS LEFT!!!)

mike240z
11-09-2003, 07:20 PM
Mine is an NG Elfin too. Yes, it was Jessica, she was interviewed before the race.
As of next year, in SA and Vic, the 1600s will be heavier and have a restrictor, so they will do the same lap times as the 1200s. Until now, they haven't been running with us, but next year they will. In NSW you currently have the 12s and 16s running together, and doing different lap times, but will this change?

Driver_chick
11-10-2003, 05:01 PM
16s and 12s run together from now until forever, unless the field all of sudden swells to huge proportions.

As I said, the historics should be coming out of our lot in the near future, so any 16s that come in will probably be levelled out with the loss to historics. Ppls still love the 12s though. The 16s guys keep whinging though!

How are you guys in SA holding up with this whole tyre shortage situation now that Bridgestone have decided to go Coo Coo on us...
I hear that we are meant to be going to a compound with American race tyre. What do you reckon about that???

Driver_chick
12-28-2003, 01:19 AM
Dude... BIG Problem... That control manifold we were meant to have to be allowed to race next season in Vees has already sold out in NSW... They only allowed 25! Arugh! And I replied like the day after the newsletter came out!!!

Is it possible to get the manifold from your lot in SA???

ben
12-28-2003, 06:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Daddy:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is evidence that this list was written by an American. Gas is $4 a gallon everywhere over here :-)

Ben

University of Birmingham
www.ubracing.co.uk (http://www.ubracing.co.uk)

gug
01-05-2004, 07:37 AM
gallon? whats a gallon? and why do you all seem to use LPG? (gas = LPG and LPG only). whats wrong with petrol!

damn international dialects... you should all get with the times and learn to speak australian. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

- the problem with the world is stupidity. i'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety lables off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

PatClarke
01-06-2004, 01:33 AM
Gug, 'Gas' is 'gasoline' not LPG, CNG, Propane, Butane or any other gaseous substances =] Actually, these days the Brits use lots of Diesel, or distillate, as it is sometimes called in Aus =]
Pat

The older I get, the faster I was.

roadrunner
01-06-2004, 06:55 AM
How about:

1. You think gaffa tape is a solution for a broken welded joint when theres only 5 mins before start time!!

2. When a noise appears that is new you spend the whole time whilst driving trying to picture what particular broken part that is and how serious the problem is. You don`t however slow down or stop!!!

And the final one, and this is when you know its getting bad and god help me when this happens but.......

Your woman/girlfriend/partner/whatever is moaning and asking you to come to bed (not to sleep) and you keep saying "in a minute." cos your greasy, cold and the motor is nearly finished!!!!!!

Word to ya moms but i came to drop bombs!!!!!

Nicki
01-06-2004, 09:04 PM
You live by the motto that race tape (or gaffer tape...) and cable ties can fix ANYTHING......

roadrunner
01-13-2004, 03:40 AM
thats cos they can!!!!

Word to ya moms but i came to drop bombs!!!!!

acracker
01-18-2004, 12:05 PM
well a couple of us played around at the shop in some spare time we had and now we have a go-cart with a worked 5hp briggs and a belt driven supercharger running a 4:1 ratio. Its a draw through set-up using a mikuni 28mm dirtbike carb and a smog pump off an Isuzu pickup. I haven't hooked a boost guage up to it yet but I will for the dyno runs.

Aaron Bloch

smciner1
02-11-2004, 03:05 AM
Hahahahaha.

I can relate to a lot of those!

www.bsrcorp.com (http://www.bsrcorp.com)