PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Prep For FSAE 04

wingman
02-23-2004, 08:36 PM
Hey Everyone,

We need a pole from the west coast teams.....

Who is interested in a west coast practice/prep in mid to late April???

Please chime in ASAP!!!!

We need to know so we can lock down a venue and prepare....

Speak now or hold your peace until next year!!

ReadySetGo
02-23-2004, 11:07 PM
when and where? LA is a bit of a drive, but nothing compared to the michigan drive http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

-Omar Barker
CSU, Sacramento
http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~formula/

wingman
02-23-2004, 11:52 PM
We will define the details based on feedback from you guys.....the more responses the bigger the plans

possible venues
Cal Speedway
Irwindale Speedway
So Cal College Campus

potential for dynamic testing and design critiques from local industry experts to prep you for the competition

Lets hear from all the teams!!

Kirk Feldkamp
02-24-2004, 12:02 AM
Word. Count UC Berkeley in, pending more info. We got screwed out of the registration for this year, but we've got a car, and we're not going to let anything keep us from competing in one way or another!

albrewe
02-24-2004, 10:27 AM
UNM is interested in coming, but we need more info on when and where soon in order to prepare. Unfortunately, we can really only participate in a weekend event. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Keep us posted!

js10coastr
02-24-2004, 11:50 AM
interested, the logistics of the event will determine if we can make it.

www.calpolysae.org (http://www.calpolysae.org)

UCSB Turbo
02-24-2004, 03:02 PM
I hope UC Santa Barbara can make it depending on if the car runs by then.

-Adrian Avgerinos
University of California, Santa Barbara
Engine Team, Formula SAE

RickyRacer
02-24-2004, 03:21 PM
You can count Long Beach in.

Tinman
02-24-2004, 05:40 PM
CSUN is interested, but can't commit at this moment.

We will have a track car by mid April, but commiting depends on how this event runs and where and also how our machining goes these next two weeks.

I don't want to burn time trailering our car for hours and limit the runs we get on weekend testing. When we test our car we mainly do endurance type runs on a smaller more technical course and run 15-20 laps back to back then switch drivers, do changes in 10 minutes and repeat for 11 hours each saturday.

If the prep event was on a weekday, it won't cut in our testing and give us a reason to miss class. Just an idea http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If we can stay on schedule and do the bulk of our testing before the prep event, I can commit. Unfortunetely I don't know when yet and the definate commitment notice will be late.

ben
02-25-2004, 02:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by turbotwig:
Word. Count UC Berkeley in, pending more info. We got screwed out of the registration for this year, but we've got a car, and we're not going to let anything keep us from competing in one way or another!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still 20 Formula Student spots left!

16 nationalities are already represented including defending champs Toronto. Chalmers and Monash are also entered so the standard is pretty good.

Ben

University of Birmingham
www.ubracing.co.uk (http://www.ubracing.co.uk)

PatClarke
02-25-2004, 03:23 AM
Quote Turbotwig
"We got screwed out of the registration for this year"

No, you blew it and didn't get registered before the field was filled. Don't blame anyone else.
PDR

PS Ben, I am predicting 3 Aussie cars at FS in July!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

ben
02-25-2004, 03:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Suddenlee:

PS Ben, I am predicting 3 Aussie cars at FS in July!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool. Shame there isn't an Ashes series on :-) Or maybe we should have an FStudent version?

Ben

University of Birmingham
www.ubracing.co.uk (http://www.ubracing.co.uk)

wingman
02-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Alright you thread Bogies, enough with the off topic BS!!

Play nice!! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

PatClarke
02-25-2004, 02:27 PM
Wingman, you don't understand.
To anyone in the UK or Australia, The Ashes are on topic in every thread http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
PDR

Kirk Feldkamp
02-25-2004, 07:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>No, you blew it and didn't get registered before the field was filled. Don't blame anyone else.
PDR
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least our toilets flush the right direction! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif Better make sure you have all the fluids in your engine going the right way when you get up here!

-twig

PatClarke
02-25-2004, 07:53 PM
TTwig, I didn't know that! In Oz our toilets flush DOWN, that way we don't all get full of s**t http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Well, mostly anyway http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
PDR

Kirk Feldkamp
02-25-2004, 08:20 PM
Touche!

ReadySetGo
03-03-2004, 06:33 AM
anything new?

-Omar Barker
CSU, Sacramento
http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~formula/

wingman
03-03-2004, 04:39 PM
OK guys,

We are shooting for late April (23rd) to early May (9th) event

The event will either be

A) part of the monthly SCCA autocross Saturday practice at Cal Speedway or Hollywood Park

B) an FSAE only event at Irwindale Speedway on Friday or Sunday depending on availability. (Note the only open Sunday is May 9th i.e. Mothers Day)

Irwindale allows for an FSAE focused event with lots of practice time and focus but will require MUCH for setup and firm buy in from the teams that they will show!! All the Fridays in the above-mentioned window are available but we need to reserve it ASAP

The Saturday practice option is simpler to set up but may be limited laps and entries and will be a full size autoX course. It will be either April 24th or May 8th depending on venue availability.

Either option will be a PRACTICE and TUNING event with the possibility of design critique for the team's benefit....we will have timing equipment for your benefit but will not be keeping score (officially anyway)

SO chime in guys....

Is a Friday event do-able??

Do you want industry judges on hand to critique your design??

Also I think we need to know who is REALLY interested no later than March 10th (next Wed)
and those who chime in are on the hook so be realistic.

Estimated cost per team to participate should not be more than $100.00 and should be less....

Post your thoughts!!

Cheers,

Wingman

Tinman
03-04-2004, 09:03 AM
The SCCA autocross we will have to pass on.

For the Irwindale Speedway event, are we allowed to do consecutive laps?

Fridays are do-able with the sundays.

Industry judges would also be great to have there.

wingman
03-04-2004, 09:53 AM
Hey Tin

Would CSUN parking lot be an option for such an event??

Can you contact the alums that put together the CSUN event last year to assist in coordinating this one??

Tinman
03-05-2004, 12:25 PM
CSUN parking lot is an option, but we may have to go through more channels to get it since the problem last summer.

The core members who organized the West Coast Car Conference last year are returning as grads. I will talk to them to see what time they can put in.

RickyRacer
03-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Long Beach is a couple of days away from running so we should be ready to go then.
Ricky

Micah Bayless
03-23-2004, 03:08 PM
UCSD might be ready for some testing in a month. We're chiming in as 'maybe.'

Kirk Feldkamp
03-29-2004, 05:28 PM
We starting running today. Are there any updates for the event? How do you guys 'tech' for these events? Are we all going to be stringent about rules or are we just there to have a good time? We've never done one of these, so I'm curious how it goes.

wingman
03-30-2004, 05:37 PM
Hey everyone,

Sorry for the delay. So here is the deal....

We are looking to host a west coast Formula specific event on the weekend of May 1st/2nd. This would allow everyone time to reload for FSAE and works best with local events.....

At a minimum this will be a static design event with experts from industry, some of whom have judged at Detroit in the past (no name dropping just yet though)

We are currently trying to lock down a venue for a dynamic event on Sunday the 2nd in which case we would do both static and dynamic very much like you will see in Detroit. This includes teching the cars of course, brake and noise, skid pad, accel, auto X, and endurance plus design and sales presentations

If this falls through the backup is a static only event on Saturday instead.

So my questions are WHO IS IN????

to date I have recieved interest from

Cal Poly Slo
Cal Poly Pomona
USC
CSUN
CSLB
UCSB
Berkley
UC Sacramento
UCSD
UNM

but we need real confirmed YES!! from you guys, and anyone I missed by the way...or we will not waist our time with this!!

Second, if the dynamic event happens, it may not be free to participate (i.e. you've got to pay to play) but the cost should not be prohibitive to you (think $100 range for now)

So lets get a recount from all of you for a May 1st/2nd event prep for Detroit!!

Let us know ASAP

Cheers

Wingman....

js10coastr
03-31-2004, 05:58 PM
CP SLO is in!!

O.Kho
04-01-2004, 07:43 AM
Cal Poly Pomona is definitely in.
I'd also like to offer our assistance to any teams that might be spending the night. We've got couches and and apartments all around our campus to crash for an evening if it will help.
Just FYI,
Irwindale is about 20 minutes away
California Speedway, 30 minutes.

We may also be able to assist in small repairs if it comes down to it.

Best of luck and we look forward to seeing you guys soon.
Oliver

Tinman
04-01-2004, 06:01 PM
CSUN is in.

Kirk Feldkamp
04-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Berkeley is in providing it's not 100% static. That's a long way to drive just to look at cars sit there!!!

-Kirk

wingman
04-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Hey everyone,

I've got good news for you!!

We have reserved the Kart track at buttonwillow raceway in central California for Sun May 2nd

please see the following details and respond ASAP, we need at least 7 cars confirmed and paid to make this thing happen. Judges and the venue are going to make this a "can't miss" event as long as you guys support us by participating!!

May 2nd (Sunday)
Buttonwillow Raceway Kart Track
http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/

Event will be FSAE specific and held on the Kart track at Buttonwillow
Raceway

There is a double national SCCA championship race on the main track the same weekend so hotel space may be at a premium. Everyone check this out and make arrangements immediately and lock down those hotel rooms upon confirmation from me that this will happen... (i.e. April 17th)

12 schools (i.e. cars) max
7 cars min
120 people (est.)
Use of Kart track and skid pad area

Entry Fee is $100 per car to cover track expenses
Entry Payment from teams to SAE required by April 16th

There is a $10 entry fee per person into the raceway the day of the event

So Cal SAE will provide lunch at the event and up to 3 teams entry fee if we
do not meet our 10 car quota

Hotel, food, gas, race supplies and all other non-event arrangements are to
be made by the teams (i.e. bring your own fuel....)

schedule for the day

7:30-10 am
Vehicle tech and design judging

10-11 am
skid pad and acceleration
skid pad is 2 50ft diameter circles forming a figure 8
accel is an 82 yard straight run and will require a 100yards of straight
pavement 20 feet wide

11-12 am
autocross
to be run on the kart track with extra cones added to tighten it up a bit

12-1 pm
lunch

1-4 pm
endurance run on cart track
2 cars at a time spaced at opposite ends of the track
2 drivers per car, 12 laps each for 24 laps total

This is to be a practice event for the benefit of the teams for this years
competition and for us as the coordinators in preparation for a future FSAE
West Competition.

As such, there will be no official scoring or winner. Specifically, the
judges will provide the teams with suggestions as to how to improve there
presentations and vehicle tuning/prep prior to Detroit.

The dynamic events will be time only and unrecorded such that the
participants are preparing for the competition not competing against each
other.

Former FSAE design judges have agreed to attend for your benefit and will be coordinating the format for the static event to ensure it is similar to the actual FSAE event.
We will have 3 judges total

I will coordinate the dynamic events schedule for the day. The rules for the dynamic events and car operations will be per FSAE rules...
*No driving in the pits
*Car must have driver wearing full gear and sitting in the car if engine is to be run
etc.....

If we fail to receive the required 7 entries or encounter problems that
cancel the buttonwillow event, we will conduct a static judging event for
the teams in combination with the Mac Short Event at Nissan Headquarters Saturday May 1st.

In this case the $100 entry fee will not apply and those teams that have payed will be reimbursed.

Please send confirmation to navstokes@yahoo.com and I will reply with info on where to send payment.

This will be a great time for all involved so lets make it happen!!!

Cheers,

Wingman

Micah Bayless
04-13-2004, 09:57 PM
UCSD SAE will arrive on Sunday. Please advise for payment information.

Micah Bayless
858 534-6277
mbayless@ucsd.edu
sae.ucsd.edu

Kirk Feldkamp
04-14-2004, 02:28 AM
Word. Count UC Berkeley in!

-Kirk Feldkamp
kirkf@uclink.berkeley.edu

RickyRacer
04-14-2004, 12:33 PM
CSULB is in but it is not likely that we will make it to the judging on Saturday because our team captain from last year is getting married.l
Please let me know about the payment info.
Ricky Torres
(562)335-8738
PhatCriti@aol.com

wingman
04-14-2004, 02:00 PM
IF THE EVENT HAPPENS AT BUTTONWILLOW ON SUNDAY, THERE WILL BE NO SATURDAY FSAE EVENT!!!!

the saturday option is merely a backup plan in case buttonwillow falls through

Does everyone understand????

js10coastr
04-14-2004, 03:59 PM
understood....if anyone needs a place to stay the night, SLO is about 2 hours away from Buttonwillow. Get a hold of me and I'll see if I can find an extra sofa or whatnot. Otherwise, I think part of the SLO team (haha) will be camping close to Buttonwillow.

Do you have any more info for spectators? I'm trying to get ASME and SWE to come along.

wingman
04-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Hey everyone,

We are looking good for the event at Buttonwillow may 2nd

some final details are being ironed out as I write this

I will have more info for you tomorrow...

Cheers,

Wingman

ReadySetGo
04-22-2004, 09:27 AM
CSU, Sacramento will be there. If you need any additional help we'll be glad to help out as much as we can. Ben should have sent you a payment already..if not then soon. Thanks for all the hard work wingman!

wingman
04-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Hey everyone,

WE ARE A GO!!

I just received confirmation from Buttonwillow that we have the Kart and skidpad areas reserved for May 2nd

Mike O'Neil is continuing to coordinate with potential judges (He has 5 industry experts confirmed so far)

And most importantly the following schools have submitted their entry fee

USC
UC Berkeley
Cal Poly SLO
UCSD
UC Davis

Cal Poly Pomona and UC Sacramento will be submitting today so that makes 7 teams confirmed!!

Other schools that are still tentative

UCSB
CSUN
CSLB

I will hold the paypal and check submittals until Monday April 26 when I have to pay for the track

Our goal was 10 schools participating, so for those that have not chimed in (especially from neighboring states) this is a must event for increasing your success in Detroit!!

You are more than welcome (We have made allowance for 12 teams) you just need to contact me....

DO NOT JUST SHOW UP AT THE TRACK!!

We have provided estimates of the # of people that will attend that we have to hold to, so if you are planning on coming out to watch or run, please let me know....

Wingman

RickyRacer
04-26-2004, 08:15 AM
I will pay pal you today. Sorry I took so long.
Ricky Torres
CSULB

Bdeal
04-26-2004, 10:09 AM
Sac State still needs to pay just need to know where to send the dinero or paypal?
bdeal@yahoo.com

js10coastr
04-26-2004, 07:57 PM
do we have to pass a full tech inspection before we run?

wingman
04-29-2004, 01:36 PM
Hello everyone,

Everything is looking good for Sunday

The following schools are confirmed

> Cal State LB
> Cal Poly SLO
> UCSD
> USC
> UC Berkeley
> Cal Poly Pomona

Unpaid or tentative are >

> UCSB
> UC Sacramento
> UC Davis
> CSUN

Anyone else interested in attending please let me know, I do not want to exclude anyone. Thanks again to those teams that got their payment in right away!! With out that, none of this would have happened!!

Note to the schools that do not have a car ready.... GET THEM DONE!!! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif But if not, we invite you to at least send some key team members up to participate and learn.

Note to the schools that are bringing cars, this event is for your benefit, as such you will not be scored and there will be no "winner" of the event. Your cars will only be scrutinized by the judges not put on display for the other teams unless you want to...

This is to be a practice event for the benefit of the teams for this years
competition and for us as the coordinators in preparation for a future FSAE
West Competition.

The dynamic events will be time only and unrecorded such that the
participants are preparing for the competition not competing against each
other.

Former FSAE design judges have agreed to attend for your benefit and will be coordinating the format for the static event to ensure it is similar to the actual FSAE event.

Judging:

The judging will be conducted in the morning in a similar manner to what you will experience in Detroit: in other words, during the morning session while you are getting teched and practicing on the skidpad and accel courses, the judges will make the rounds as a group to one car at a time and spend 15 minutes with the team followed by specific feedback to the team on the pros and cons of their presentation before moving on to the next car.

Tech requirements: the teams will need to adhere to the FSAE rules for tech but we do not have the time or the equipment to perform the complete tech inspection.

At a minimum to run your vehicle and team will need
1. Snell 95 or newer helmet
2. Your car must pass a normal safety inspection at an SCCA autocross
3. Fire extinguishers

All other FSAE specific requirements will be noted and at the discretion of the tech inspectors to be allowable, but remember our intent is safety! It is not to exclude you from running your car so gauge accordingly (i.e. the requirement for body panels will be enforced strictly on a case by case based of potential danger to the driver)

Just an update to the schedule:

There is a $10 entry fee per person into the raceway the day of the event

Gates Open at 7 am, just ask for directions to the kart track at the gate

So Cal SAE will provide lunch at the event
(i.e. I'm ordering sandwiches and will have water and Soda for the day)

Hotel, food, gas, race supplies and all other non-event arrangements are to
be made by the teams

Since there is an SCCA national event going on the big track, race fuel will be available at the track from what I am told

schedule for the day

7:30-11 am
OPEN FORUM
Once you have passed the safety inspection
Vehicle tech and design judging you are welcome to practice on the skidpad and accel courses, just remember to be ready when the judges approach you...

skid pad: skid pad is 2 50ft diameter circles forming a figure 8

acceleration: accel is an 82 yard straight run and will be set up on the straightaway of the kart course

11-12 am
autocross
to be run on the kart track with extra cones added to tighten it up a bit

12-1 pm
lunch

1-4 pm
endurance run on cart track
2 cars at a time spaced at opposite ends of the track
2 drivers per car, 12 laps each for 24 laps total

We have to be packed up and gone by 5 pm!!

If you have any questions please let me know

Cheers,

Wingman

wingman
04-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Final note everyone

please bring a broom or 2 with you just in case

I'm headed for the track tomorrow morning first thing so if you have any ?s call me on my cell

cheers,

Wingman.....

Micah Bayless
05-02-2004, 04:10 AM
UCSD SAE will not be making it this morning. We decided at 3am to stick around the shop and get another day's worth of work done, starting at 10am. Final items include restrictor location and painting the body and frame.

Please take (and post!) lots of pictures.

Regards -

Micah Bayless

Courtney Waters
05-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Wow, big thanks to all those who made this event possible! It was a fantastic way to get prepared for the competition, and the judges feedback was invaluable. The venue was excellent, and it was much easier to focus on getting the cars set up without having to worry about the usual university parking lot dangers (lamp poles, curbs, cars, police, etc). And the kart track was an absolute blast! All the teams seemed to conduct themselves responsibly in the pits and on the track, which was great to see. Best of luck to everyone in two weeks!

wingman
05-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Hello everyone,

Well, we pulled it off!!

Summary:

8 teams registered (2 of which brought 2 cars)
6 teams made it to the event
75 people total
65 students
10 coordinators

Gates opened 7 am
8-9 Kickoff meeting and safety tech for all cars
9-11:00 3 groups, 2 teams per group rotated between 3 stations:
Judging/ Acceleration practice/ Skidpad practice
11:00-11:15 Prep for AutoX
11:15-12:15 AutoX
12:15-1:15 Lunch (4 6ft Subway sandwiches, chips and drinks provided by So Cal SAE)
1:15-1:30 Setup and safety meeting for endurance practice
1:30-4 Endurance practice
4-5 Open track tuning session and rap up meeting
5-6 Pack up and go home

The venue:
Buttonwillow Raceway kart track and skidpad......

We could not have found a better venue for this type of event. Centrally located for the west coast teams, and equipped with all of the infrastructure we could have needed, including a covered pit area, which made all the difference (given it was 95+ degrees out there!!) Many thanks to the Buttonwillow Raceway Staff (Les, Carrie and especially Warren) for supporting us and helping thing's go smoothly. The Kart track was made for this event allowing us to just add a few cones here and there to slow things down to FSAE like parameters and the skidpad area was large enough to setup both the figure 8 and a brake lockup test area for the teams. And finally, I have two words for you BANKED TURNS!!!! Which, though not representative of the Silverdome parking lot, would have made this event worth the trip, even if the rest of the event had not been so successful!!

P.S. there was an SCCA National road race event being held on the big track this weekend, so there were racecars everywhere and a great atmosphere to take in....

The Judges:
Huge thanks to Mike O'Neil for bringing in such a knowledgeable and energetic team of judges!! These guys were extremely well prepared and focused on providing the teams with advice and feedback on their design presentations. Each team received 20 to 30 minutes of one on one with the judges. By the way, all the judges donated their time and resources to be a part of this event, so hats off to them.

The Teams:

We had 8 teams registered for this shindig

Cal Poly Pomona
Cal Poly SLO
CSUS
CSLB
UCSD
UC Davis
UC Berkeley
USC

CSLB and UCSD didn't make it, which is unfortunate, but I wanted to thank them as well as USC and UC Davis (who both entered two cars) for allowing us to meet our 10 entry goal.

I think I speak for all the judges and track support crew in saying how impressed we were with the way that the teams conducted themselves!! You were focused, responsible, helpful and professional in all respects. The success of this event was, without a doubt, made possible because of your maturity and attention to the schedule and the requirements of the day (more about this in the workers portion)

So in the end, we had 6 teams and 8 cars, which meant plenty of track time for all involved.

The Workers:

Huge Thanks to Gerry LaRue, Owen Riehle, and Mike O'Neil for their part in coordinating the dynamic events with me. Mike brought design scoring sheets and kept the judges on track while Gerry and I setup and watched over the skidpad and accel courses during the morning session.

For the auto x and enduro Gerry and I tracked times, laps and driver changes. Owen and Mike teamed up to fine tune the course layouts I had put together in order to keep safe and representative of the FSAE track parameters. Mike brought along his Kart so we used him as a baseline for the course layout (we REEAAALLLY had to twist his arm...nudge, nudge...wink, wink!!) I very much enjoyed working with these guys, and would do it again if I had the chance!!

Most importantly, thanks to the teams!! We were not able to find enough volunteers from industry to work the course during the autoX and enduro, so I asked the 6 teams to each take a section of the track and ensure that they would have a course worker in their respective section at all times. This could have been a mess, but as said previously, with minimal guidance from me, each team stayed on top of their section and rotated people in and out as necessary. FANTASTIC TEAM WORK!!

The Dynamic Events:

Given this was a test and tune, aside from defining a staring order for the enduro based on auto-x times, there were no times recorded for any of the events. The teams were responsible for tracking and recording their performance. This allowed the event to be much more low key than if we were having them compete against one another, not to mention the teams were still a bit unprepared so comparing them would not have served a constructive purpose. This by the way allowed us to run the event with a minimum of volunteers and equipment given that we merely had to account for safety and staying on schedule.

The morning session went very smoothly without any breakdowns or incidents. I did not get to see the autoX given that I was picking up the food for lunch, but Owen and Gerry had it covered beautifully!! We were running a bit behind schedule by the time we started the enduro, but much like the real competition, there was a lot of attrition in the enduro (mostly due to the heat) so we actually finished early enough to allow some open track time at the end of the day so the teams could workout some of those bugs that dropped them out of the endurance event. This was a great lesson for the teams in that only one car actually finished the 24 laps (and it was an old car that did it).

The following are the track maps for the autoX and endurance (note autoX was run clock wise, endurance was run counter clockwise)

AutoX course

Endurance course

Additional Thanks:

To So Cal FSAE for supporting this event and providing lunch for everyone, and to FSAE.com for creating a venue for teams and alums to share knowledge and coordinate events like this.

Final Comments:

Above all, I wanted to thank the drivers throughout the day for keeping safety first!! We held to a standing rule for the event, given that the track was a thin strip of winding asphalt rather than a course defined by cones in a parking lot, that if a car went of the track, that person was removed from further driving for the day, and if the car in question when of a second time, the car was removed from any further operation for the day. Well, I'm happy to say that I only had to remove one person from the event for going off course. Who might you ask?? Well one of the teams was kind enough to let me take a few laps in their old car at the end of the day, I spent the first 2 getting used to the course and the car, the 3rd at a slightly increased pace, and the end of the 4th being reminded that FSAE cars react differently than vintage sports cars that I have been driving for the last five years of post college life.... Well I went into one of the banked turns too hot, drifted to the outer edge of the track coming out of the corner exit and put all four tires off course thus requiring my self imposed removal!!! I'm totally embarrassed and am only admitting to this for the sake of reiterating my appreciation to the drivers who completed the entire day of testing without incident. There was no damage of any kind to the car by the way, and I probably could have played it off, but that would not have been fair to the rest of the people that kept it in the road all day........

So, good luck to all the teams this year, and to those that were not at this event, your going to need it!! As for next year, I would be up for coordinating this again on two conditions:

1. I got to work with such a great team of volunteers again.
2. We plan to have the event 4 weeks before with a bit more time to prepare.

If you west coast teams are interested, let us know so we can get the ball rolling a little sooner.......

If you teams have any pics from the event, please post them!!

Take care,

Wingman

Sisyphus
05-07-2004, 12:16 PM
I would be happy to get some photos from the May 2nd event. I was only able to take a couple of shots myself. Please send any electronic photos you'd like to share to: gerry.larue@email.sae.org

I'll be happy to send an electronic copy of the group photo in return.

Thanks to everyone who attended and helped make the event a success (particularly those hardy souls who stood out in the hot sun flagging)!

King Missile
05-23-2004, 05:32 AM
Send me some pics to...

Brett.Miller at Harley-Davidson.com

Why isn't Cal Poly Pomona updating their website? I saw pics of their 04 car on Grassroots Motorsports' website.