PDA

View Full Version : Machine Set up confusion

jlflores
05-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Hello fellow SAE'ers

I just wanted clarification on the 'Machine Setup' item under the tblprocesses spread sheet. In the comments it states "The quantity for this process may be used to scale the cost to the number of parts yielded from each set up. For example if 4 parts can be machined from a single plate then the quantity per part may be 0.25 to spread the cost out over each part."

Suppose a team machined tube ends for 16 tubes at both ends. Would the setup charge be $1.30/16 and the change (from removal of tube to machine the other end) $0.65*16 -or- would setup charge be $1.30/32 to account for both ends of the tube with the same setup??????

Michael Royce
05-02-2009, 07:58 PM
JL,
I am not a Cost Judge, but I suspect that what you are proposing will not be accepted. You have to be sensible and apply a modicum of logic. For instance, I believe the comment means to say that if you can logically machine 4 brackets out of one blank, e.g. on a CNC by fixturing the blank just once, or turn 4 washers on a lathe with only chucking up the bar just once, then you can logically claim only one set up.

However, when it comes to machining tube ends, each end needs its own set up. Almost guaranteed the Cost Judges will ding you on that one!

Will M
05-08-2011, 07:38 AM
If the tubes ends are being cut using a long autofeeder then IMO you would only need one set up.

Vera
03-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Hi,
I'm not sure in which cases I need to add the "Machining setup, install and remove" process.
Is it only needed for real "Machining" processes for which I need the "Machining-Multiplier" or also for e.g. Tube bending and welding?
I hope somebody can help http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Thank you!
Vera