PDA

View Full Version : Design Spec Sheet question!

LafayetteFSAE
02-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Hey everyone,

Just was curious if every team is supposed to fill out the design spec sheet in SI units only, it doesn't clearly state which unit system to use. This doesn't make much sense to me, so if anyone can clarify if either units system can be used that would be great

Thanks!

Adambomb
03-02-2010, 02:27 PM
We've always used Ye Olde Englishe units throughout without any problems. I've never heard of any judges mentioning any preference one way or the other, and given the "job shop" low volume nature of what we're doing and the availability of "standard" parts, tooling, materials and hardware compared to metric, I get the impression that the better part of the racing industry in the US operates mostly in "standard" units.

And I do realize the irony that the US refers to their archaic unit system as "standard." I've also been screwed trying to find obscure metric hardware that I can get in a standard equivalent either from the local hardware store or overnight from McMaster!

bob.paasch
03-02-2010, 03:49 PM
We did our spec sheet for California last year in SI as our car was designed in metric and we were also headed to Europe for FS Germany and FS Austria. We had one California judge ask for the numbers in English units, he said he didn't have a feel for the numbers in SI.

That said, we did our spec sheet in SI again, but we will probably prepare a second spec sheet with English units and take copies to design judging for those judges that prefer English.

Pico
03-02-2010, 08:05 PM
It's written at the top of the spec sheet that it has to be in SI units...

Adambomb
03-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Pi*co:
It's written at the top of the spec sheet that it has to be in SI units...

No, it actually says:

"FSAE Design Spec Sheet -- Note: SI units"

Doesn't say anywhere it has to be SI units. As I recall it's been that way for years. Now on the flip side...if it's in US units, do we need to include a "note" mentioning this? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif