PDA

View Full Version : nose cones

stella
01-31-2010, 08:06 AM
Hi guys,
I am basically a 1st year student of MAE. I have joined a fsae team of my college in jan. I want to know about the factors which determine the dimensions of nose cones like its length etc, basically how to start design it. I know that it depends on aerodynamics but i want to know the particular factors . I know that it is basically use to allow the flow of air around the vehicle . If there is some other merits and demeritsof it, plz tell me. As i have only a general idea of aerodynamics plz kept it simple. Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

tgman2
01-31-2010, 02:11 PM
For the nose cone only worry about making it fit around the impact attenuator, chassis and within the rules. Aero is something to consider but unless the car has a full aero body just make something shaped roughly like a cone / pyramid, the amount of effort required to do a proper aerodynamic nose far exceeds the potential benefits (particularly if you are a first year).

poe21
01-31-2010, 02:24 PM
I am assuming that you mean the body and not the attenuator. I agree with tim, and would go as far as to say little to no aerodynamic gains (as far as down force is concerned)will come from the nose cone. It can however help move air to the correct places, particularly if you have a radiator mounted in close proximity. Just don't stop air from going where is should, and make something that doesn't resemble a tall flat wall. Also, don't forget that your driver needs to have some sight ability, so don't do something crazy that will inhibit him from getting a good view of the course. Lastly, lighter is better. One year we had a front nose cone with about 5-6 lbs of bondo on it. We shaved a total of about 10lbs off of the body panels the following year by just doing it correct the first time, and not worrying about small imperfections.

Kirby
01-31-2010, 02:54 PM
If you haven't read the rules that would be a really good place to start.

Don't stuff up the leading edge radii rule, I've seen done wrong way to many times.

Adambomb
02-01-2010, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Kirby:
If you haven't read the rules that would be a really good place to start.

Don't stuff up the leading edge radii rule, I've seen done wrong way to many times.

You mean like this?

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs243.snc1/9030_692783339640_16912542_41447731_3742352_n.jpg

The infamous "pool noodle."

Lorenzo Pessa
02-01-2010, 01:53 AM
I want to add: pay attention to dive angle when bracking.
You have also to avoid to scape the nose on tarmac.

t21jj
02-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Lorenzo Pessa:
I want to add: pay attention to dive angle when bracking.
You have also to avoid to scape the nose on tarmac.

And when using the quick jack if possible, we had one car that would crush the nose if the quick jack was used.