PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Competitions....whats up???

drivetrainUW-Platt
05-24-2005, 07:57 PM
I heard a few rumors floating around the pits...there will be 2 US competitions next year, one somewheres in Cali, one somewheres else...heard the Silverdome was going to be torn down and a new location would need to be found...anyone else have any more info on this??

drivetrainUW-Platt
05-24-2005, 07:57 PM
I heard a few rumors floating around the pits...there will be 2 US competitions next year, one somewheres in Cali, one somewheres else...heard the Silverdome was going to be torn down and a new location would need to be found...anyone else have any more info on this??

Dan G
05-24-2005, 08:17 PM
They announced it at the captains meeting. Neither "new" location has been firmed up yet, but its looking like the west coast one will be held at the infield of a speedway (not sure which) and the Detroit "big show" will most likely be held at one of the big three's Detroit area proving grounds, or another large/suitable location.

Registration will open up to all teams for both events at the same time, but you can only register for one. After a month you can register for the other, if there's still room.

Denny Trimble
05-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Just to start the rumor mill, which competition are all you teams planning on attending?

U. of Washington will register for West.

Customline
05-24-2005, 08:50 PM
I'm pretty sure U of A will want to be going to the West competition, although we will have to see.

I remember talking to two of the Washington team members on Saturday night, they came into our hotel room just seeing what was up while we were playing poker, not sure if that was you though, can't really remember who they were.

jack
05-24-2005, 08:59 PM
WWU will be driving 2 days extra to detriot...oh wait..thats retarded..yeah we will be at west.

it seems like a lot of teams are geographically closer to east though, i am curious who will come out west? UTA and texas A&M perhaps?

drivetrainUW-Platt
05-26-2005, 10:20 AM
due to funds and location, we will prob be going to the east again, I'm peelin from my 2 days of sun from Detroit, don't need more sun http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Wray
05-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Anyone know if any of the potential surfaces are concrete? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

kwancho
05-26-2005, 11:31 AM
West for sure, if we make it. Here's to hoping. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BeaverGuy
05-26-2005, 12:04 PM
Oregon State will be attending the west competition. Though depending on who goes where I think I would rather be in the east.

Moke
05-26-2005, 12:42 PM
The biggest problem I see is with two US comps how will we know who is the World Champs? You won't be able to just win in Detroit, you might have to attend more than one comp to be classed as World FSAE Champ.

For us outside of USA where distance doesn't matter, it's going to be hard to pick which one to go to. (not saying we are coming, but tossing the idea around)

CMURacing - Prometheus
05-26-2005, 01:03 PM
it shouldn't be a question for teams from outside the country...especially pacific ones.

if you ship your car by boat, it comes into long beach/san pedro harbor. from there, california speedway is a straight shot up one highway, maybe 70 miles. dodger stadium and edison field (the big a) are even closer.

Denny Trimble
05-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Next year, there will be 7 SAE events:

1 USA East
2 USA West
3 England
4 Australasia
5 Japan
6 Italy
7 Brazil

Yes, it will be hard to pick a "world champion". But I don't think that's the point.

Bryan Hagenauer
05-26-2005, 02:49 PM
For the west competition, they are discussing using the infield at California Speeday, in Fontana, CA. It's about an hour east of LAX, or just a few minutes from Ontario Arpt. The infield is asphalt, as is the parking lot where we run autocrosses. Parking lot is a good, smooth, fairly grippy surface.

Here is a sat view (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=fontana,+ca&ll=34.087615,-117.501483&spn=0.015364,0.025535&t=k&hl=en)

The west lot with the tires marks is the one we use for autocrossing, but they rent out just about every lot for manufacturer events or other car stuf.

Unfortunatly, Fontana is an industrial area. There isn't much for hotels and bars besides trucker stuff. But, this is the LA sprawl, so within 10 or 15 miles there is plenty.

Dan G
05-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Obviously living Detroit makes my team's choice easy.

I agree that the US-west event will probably be more popular with the uber-competitive teams from down under, and the increasingly competitive teams from Asia. But geographically, it looks like a majority of US teams would have a shorter drive to Detroit than LA.

Time will tell how things divide. I'd certainly want to go to both if we get the opportunity.

kwancho
05-26-2005, 04:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan Hagenauer:
For the west competition, they are discussing using the infield at California Speeday, in Fontana, CA. It's about an hour east of LAX, or just a few minutes from Ontario Arpt. The infield is asphalt, as is the parking lot where we run autocrosses. Parking lot is a good, smooth, fairly grippy surface. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was mentioned in the West Coast Practice thread, but it was held there this year, and it was GORGEOUS. Nary a hint of rain in sight, and the asphalt was almost perfect (except for that one patch of dust down in that corner, but that can be swept). Great venue.

rjwoods77
05-26-2005, 06:47 PM
We would want to be at he comp that provided the most competition because who wants to place in a lesser field. However I always felt that an event like this would be best supported at a real race track. Honestly my feeling would be to go all the way to California. It would be nice to be given a nice location to race after all the effort we expend into our cars. Sort of a "here is for all your effort" kinda place. If they change the east race to something like the real tracks in michigan and wisconsin, then I would go to the east. Are there any long kart tracks out there. It would be nice to use an actual track instead of cones.

Denny Trimble
05-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Weren't you bitching about us not following the concept of the competition? Isn't the concept to build a weekend autocrosser? Don't autocrossers go around cones?

http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I think the Detroit event will still be the "main" event for a few years, but we want to support the west coast event as it grows. We want to save money and time traveling, we want to enjoy the better weather, and we want to enjoy what might be a smaller, less stressful, more fun event.

slow_vw
05-26-2005, 09:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I remember talking to two of the Washington team members on Saturday night, they came into our hotel room just seeing what was up while we were playing poker, not sure if that was you though, can't really remember who they were. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was me and ryan from WWU. nice to meet you guys, looked like quite a few teams were having a good time that night

rjwoods77
05-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Put some cones on the track to make it like an autocross. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I was just referring to some place that is used to having a bunch of people with trailers and such show up for racing.

Bryan Hagenauer
05-26-2005, 09:20 PM
The silverdome is used to people with trailers and racecars show up for racing. It's called autocrossing. Not everyone wants to autocross their Z-stock econobox commuter car.

Jeff The Pyro
05-26-2005, 10:05 PM
if you come out west we can guarantee you there will be no 15 minute hurricane warnings like in 2004...

Jeff Cortes
UC San Diego

DY
05-27-2005, 01:05 PM
The Cal Speedway, while the only real speedway I've been to, I thought was really nice when the GTLive event was held there.

I gotta say the Ontario Airport there was kind of surreal to come off the plane into. Everything was white, like on some Scifi set.

jjusb
06-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Is there anyone going to the east competition besides the Universities from Michigan? everyone seems to be going to California?

Michael Jones
06-04-2005, 05:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Yes, it will be hard to pick a "world champion". But I don't think that's the point.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Detroit will still be the mainstay for a while, given it will still be set at around 140 teams whereas others will be half that at best (including West, which they'll cap at around 70 to start, according to what was released at the captain's meeting...)

The "world championship" moniker is already rather confusing to determine and will only get more so.

I'd hope the SAE folk would realize this and try to establish a meta-championship of sorts.

I'm sure if the top five schools from all the events worldwide were invited (and received funds) to attend a true world championship, they would. Done right, the world championship could attract more than sufficient sponsorship and even media attention.

Moke
06-04-2005, 07:10 PM
That would sure show who is the best. The funding would help as for some teams it will be a long trip (I think we could be the furtherest away team). Then we could have the best of the best, maybe with a few more events due to the smaller field.

Sisyphus
06-07-2005, 12:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Denny Trimble:

1 USA East
2 USA West
3 England
4 Australasia
5 Japan
6 Italy
7 Brazil

Yes, it will be hard to pick a "world champion". But I don't think that's the point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Denny, do you have some personal contacts at the FSAE national level on these competitions? I'm in the SoCal SAE section and have been involved in the several FSAE events we've had over the last couple of years, including the ones at Buttonwillow and Fontana. Unfortunately, there hasn't been a great deal of info coming from National about what their plans might be for 2006 in SoCal.

If you have some info on that from this year's competition, I'd appreciate hearing it. Thanks. You can send it to me off line if you prefer. My e-mail is: gerry.larue@email.sae.org

Dr Claw
06-07-2005, 02:12 PM
I heard that next year's competition is going to be at Pine Knob in auburn hills. For the out of state folks, it's called DTE-Engery Ampitheatre...never been there so i dont know what the surface looks like, but that is what i heard http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Denny Trimble
06-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Gerry,
I don't have any personal connections with SAE, this list is just based on what they announced this year at the awards banquet.

To paraphrase what Steve Daum said about the West event:

SAE is still negotiating with a speedway in California to hold the event in the infield. They will let us know when an agreement has been reached. They hope to hold the event in June 2006, and to limit entrants to 70 or 80 the first year, if the site is large enough. They will open registration on October 1st for both USA events, but allow each team to register for only one event until November 1st. If there are still spots available, teams can then register for a second event.

That's all I know, perhaps you can contact Steve Daum for more info.

Big Bird
06-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Gerry, Denny,

If you are looking for contacts with the organizers down here in Oz, feel free to message me. More than happy to help out if I can.

Cheers

rtrey
06-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Does anyone know who the main sponsors are going to be for the west coast event? Is Honda going to finally get to come inside the gate? Also, what kind of group is going to make up the design judges?

It's about the same distance to either event, and we're tired of getting rained on. Oklahoma will be going west this next year.

-Trey

Tony K
06-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Yea... same with Colorado State, about the same distance, but nice weather would be decent for a change. A nice surface to race on wouldn't be bad either. So if it is indeed California Speedway, then CSU will be going west. Plus June will give us extra test time hopefully... or just extra panic mode time like always.

RagingGrandpa
06-16-2005, 08:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Jones:
Detroit will still be the mainstay for a while, given it will still be set at around 140 teams whereas others will be half that at best (including West, which they'll cap at around 70 to start, according to what was released at the captain's meeting...) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is incorrect- Steve Daum made it clear at competition that they do not know for certain how many competitors will be allowed at EITHER US event in 2006, because niether event location has been determined. They're looking to 'split the load'. Do not expect 140 slots for Detroit, it isn't guaranteed.

Neil S
08-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Have anymore teams decided where they are going yet? We're still undecided as to which event we are planning to attend.

SD
08-08-2005, 07:33 PM
We are planning on the WEST event, primarily due to travel/expenses/fun etc.

adrial
08-09-2005, 08:09 AM
We will be at the East event. Michigan is far enough away as it is.

SD
08-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Might be easier if we copy/past this list into our posts and build upon it.

University of British Columbia : FSAE WEST
RUTGERS : FSAE EAST

Captain Redbeard
08-09-2005, 10:49 AM
University of British Columbia : FSAE WEST
RUTGERS : FSAE EAST
Dartmouth : FSAE EAST (and west if we have enough interest)

On a side note about the East competition:

Steve talked for a while in England about the competitions and said that it was almost for certain that the east event will be held at the Ford proving grounds about 20 minutes drive from the silverdome. Apparently the asphalt is absolutely perfect. Steve said he asked the grounds manager if he could cut a small strip to lay in a timing loop and the guy said he would lose his job if he tried. It must be pretty sweet. The down side is that there will be little to no parking near the pit/racing area. There will be shuttle busses to get people to and from the venue from the parking area. It also sounded like the Cal Speedway was almost set except there was some date interference with NASCAR. I'm sure they'll work it out.

-Redbeard

RickyRacer
08-09-2005, 06:31 PM
As far as I was told, the contract was signed with Cal Speedway recently. My contact was uncertain as to where the competition would be held, the inside track or the parking lot were the auto-x take place. I would love for them to hold the acceleration runs on the 1/4 mile dragstrip, but I am pretty sure that won;t happen. I am curious if my source has given me the correct info. Anyone from Pomona want to chime in. You guys might know more about it.

Rick
Long Beach State Motorsport

CMURacing - Prometheus
08-09-2005, 08:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RickyRacer:
I would love for them to hold the acceleration runs on the 1/4 mile dragstrip, but I am pretty sure that won;t happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahahaha, formula cars running on all that rubber? somebody would run a 3.0. easily.

Dave M
08-10-2005, 01:22 AM
We dont know exactly where yet, inside track or lot 12. There is a fairly new, and slick, kart track that opened a few moths ago too. last we heard they were trying to confirm a date. It will be interesting to see how many cars will show up to our practice event (autocross) in late april at the speedway.

Nihal
08-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Nice, so Ian and you guys are going to do the April test session again?

Bryan Hagenauer
08-10-2005, 08:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nihal:
Nice, so Ian and you guys are going to do the April test session again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing is set in stone, but there is talk of it.

Dave M
08-26-2005, 11:42 PM
FSAE East 2006 Detroit (somewhere) may 17-21
FSAE West 2006 California Speedway June 14-18

The west coast event is conveniently during finals week for us.

Expect the west coast practice around the 29th of April or the 6th of May but no promises yet.

Timmay!
08-30-2005, 05:50 AM
where did you get this information?

Omer
08-30-2005, 08:19 AM
hi all
we are a first year car and we want to be sure we register in time and not to blow it,what is the sae site with the information for registration?
what is the information should each team member prepare (driving license,insurance,etc..)?
is there a difference between locations?

Dan G
08-30-2005, 09:50 AM
This is the page used for the 2005 US competition...

http://students.sae.org/competitions/formulaseries/fsae/registration/

They might use the same page for 2006, they might not.

This page should contain the proper links to the most current information...

http://students.sae.org/competitions/formulaseries/fsae/

So far details of the 2006 event and registration have not been released.

Good luck!

Dave M
08-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Ive got some connections at cal speedway. hehehe

IttyBitty
09-01-2005, 03:39 PM
west coast event for us is about 2 weeks after finals! yay!

Michigan was hell for us...we all took finals early.

-Nika
UC Berkeley

Mad Ruska
09-02-2005, 12:40 AM
DonĀ“t forget the upcoming German Event. After secessful Pre Event, these will be an alternativ.

http://www.formulastudent.de

Frank

UTA racer rikki
09-16-2005, 01:22 PM
As for the 'world champion' debate, there has always been some suggestion that it should take at SCCA Nationals. That would improve the attendance there in the FSAE class as well as improve the relationship with Formula SAE and SCCA. And why not, it's a race where they decide national champions anyways.

Dan G
09-16-2005, 02:06 PM
I like the idea, but I can't see it happening. International teams won't be able to justify the expense to make the trip. There will always be a few teams that hold out from showing up for one reason or another. And it would be a bit redundant to re-run any sort of static competition.

I think SCCA Nats are a great place for FSAE teams to compete, but in the end, its just for bragging rights. It would take a field of 80% of the top 50-60 teams before it could really be looked at as a "championship". With only a handful of schools participating, its no different than any of the various other regional practice/shootout type events throughout the year.

Congrats to the teams that participated and did well at this years Nats. Your quick times showcase the competitiveness and fun-factor of the FSAE crowd to the rest of the country's gearheads. And they should get a kick out of it, they are our target demographic afterall.

RiNaZ
09-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Does anybody know where in Romeo Michigan is the competition going to be held?

And what's the closest airport there?

mario_rbr
09-19-2005, 06:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yes!, my team need that location info in order to make a good expenses planification for 2006 competition

Tony K
09-20-2005, 02:25 PM
The SAE site says Ford Proving Grounds, Romeo, Michigan... more likely the parking lot of the proving grounds. Closest real airport is still Detroit Metro as Romeo is just a northern suburb of Detroit.

Dan G
09-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Thats cool.

MPG is about 15-20 minutes further from the airport than Pontiac.

http://www.racingcircuits.net/UnitedStates/mi/Romeo.html

Google Hybrid map link (might work)...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2001+32+Mile+Rd,+Romeo,+M...9,0.052756&t=h&hl=en (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2001+32+Mile+Rd,+Romeo,+MI+48065&amp;ll=42.8457 02,-83.068571&amp;spn=0.027859,0.052756&amp;t=h&amp;hl=en)

Dick Golembiewski
09-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Mnay years ago we discussed having an overall champion in mini-baja, and rejected the idea. These are engineering design competitions and not races per, se.

I don't know what the current thinking is - particularly amongst the headquartes staff. While I applaud the efforts made re: FSAE having its own class in Solo competition, I don't think it would be appropriate to crown an overall champion, and certainly wouldn't think that doing so at the SCCA solo nationals would be appropriate.

- Dick

B.K.
09-22-2005, 06:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UTA racer rikki:
As for the 'world champion' debate, there has always been some suggestion that it should take at SCCA Nationals. And why not, it's a race where they decide national champions anyways. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be great for teams that design their cars for SCCA instead of FSAE. But there are teams out there that design their cars to win FSAE, meaning designing for the competition course, and the competition events. With a different course, no accel or skidpad, no business presentation or cost event, no design judging, no fuel economy and no endurance, SCCA Nationals is a completely different competition. Might as well play football against each other. Or see who does better on an exam. Or go to the bar and see which team picks up more chicks (Cornell will, of course.)

saegirl
09-22-2005, 11:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony K:
The SAE site says Ford Proving Grounds, Romeo, Michigan... more likely the parking lot of the proving grounds. Closest real airport is still Detroit Metro as Romeo is just a northern suburb of Detroit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually how does 45 acres of perfectly smooth asphalt sound? This asphalt is used by Ford for the vehicle dynamic testing they do and is perfect...in fact timing wires will have to be above ground due to not being able to modify surface.

Chris Davin
09-22-2005, 11:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B.K.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UTA racer rikki:
As for the 'world champion' debate, there has always been some suggestion that it should take at SCCA Nationals. And why not, it's a race where they decide national champions anyways. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be great for teams that design their cars for SCCA instead of FSAE. But there are teams out there that design their cars to win FSAE, meaning designing for the competition course, and the competition events. With a different course, no accel or skidpad, no business presentation or cost event, no design judging, no fuel economy and no endurance, SCCA Nationals is a completely different competition. Might as well play football against each other. Or see who does better on an exam. Or go to the bar and see which team picks up more chicks (Cornell will, of course.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not the most tactful response, but I mostly agree - SCCA is very different from FSAE. Say what you want about either one, but it wouldn't make sense to use one as a championship for the other.

Erick, what's the story with FSAE Japan? Do you know if UTA went this year?

saegirl
09-22-2005, 11:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Denny Trimble:

1 USA East
2 USA West
3 England
4 Australasia
5 Japan
6 Italy
7 Brazil

Yes, it will be hard to pick a "world champion". But I don't think that's the point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually though there will technically be 7 events, only those affiliated in the Formula SAE rules are SAE International sanctioned events. Just an FYI...

Chris Davin
09-22-2005, 11:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saegirl:

1 USA East
2 USA West
3 England
4 Australasia
5 Japan
6 Italy
7 Brazil

Actually though there will technically be 7 events, only those affiliated in the Formula SAE rules are SAE International sanctioned events. Just an FYI... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't there an "FSAE Germany" event now, too, bringing the total of unofficial events to eight?

Another question, for anyone who knows: What will happen to the Neil Schilke Foundation Cup? Will it still be awarded at one of the competitions, or will it no longer be given out?

Dave M
09-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Just a heads up to those who will be going FSAE west. The west coast practice is slated for may 6-7. Also, our region is also slated to host a practice/championship weekend the weekend directly before the west comp. If there are enough FSAE cars we can have a shootout on saturday and sunday.

Dave M - Cal Poly Pomona

Jersey Tom
09-23-2005, 07:41 AM
Colorado's lookin for East.

Too bad State is goin West.

Tony K
09-23-2005, 10:12 PM
East eh? I would have figured CU to go West as well. Any particular reason?

Jersey Tom
09-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Bout the same distance either way, with more competition at East with twice the number of entrants... its at the Ford Proving Grounds which should be sweet... and who doesn't love Detroit???

Also its close to Canada (Windsor!)

And personally I want to see Rutgers' car. I assume Alan and John are still on the team this year.

B.K.
02-03-2006, 01:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike "Dunken Canuck" Jones:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Detroit will still be the mainstay for a while, given it will still be set at around 140 teams whereas others will be half that... The "world championship" moniker is already rather confusing to determine and will only get more so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I took a look at which competition former FSAE winners are going to. Teams that have asterisks are going to both. (Before you start bitching, I know that the list of past winners is not the same as the list of all strong teams, but it's what I had to go from.) This is based on the "Registered Teams" pages at the SAE website.

Formula SAE West (CA)
---------------------
*Akron
*Maryland
Stevens
*Texas A&M
*UT Arlington
Wollongong

Formula SAE (MI)
----------------
*Akron
Cornell
*Maryland
Michigan
*Texas A&M
*UT Arlington
UT Austin
Virgina Tech

At least naming a National Champion will be easy: somebody's just gotta win both!

Garlic
02-03-2006, 04:51 PM
There are good teams at both comps. However, Detroit will, at least for now, be the one people will defer to as the world championship.

That said some good teams are at FSAE West: Texas A&M, UTA, Auburn, UW, Georgia Tech, Akron, Wollongong, have all been recent top 5 teams. So the West will definitely be a competition with prestige.

Wright D
02-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Why not set a world championship? The organizer could invite the top five or ten teams from all of the global fsae competitions. A kind of best of the best thing. By restricting the number fsae events a school could attend more teams would be able to place high enough in their "home" event to go the championship competition. It would allow a select set of schools to compete an extra time, and also allow them to compete directly with the best. This is not to say that the rest of us mid pack teams should just be swept aside, what I am saying is that teams that have a large budget, and can travel to multiple fsae competitions have a advantage that others do not. This may be considered fair or unfair, depending on your point of view. I am just trying to suggest a solution to two problems. Who is the actual champ, and why should some schools get to compete as many times in a year as they like, and other teams not.

Any one think a world champ competition will ever happen?

Greg H
02-04-2006, 01:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wright D:
Any one think a world champ competition will ever happen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As long as this remains an educational engineering competition, no.

Wright D
02-05-2006, 08:28 PM
How would the fsae contest being educational have any thing to do with it?

There are a lot of educational contests that have national champs. The best known might be the spelling bee.

How is our contest any different? If we can crown a third grader national champ, and send him/her on the talk show circuit in the name of education, then why can't there be a world fsae champ?
call me crazy, but think it sounds awsome.

Greg H
02-06-2006, 07:39 AM
I spend enough time doing this stuff as is. If this competition goes to a national championship, that's one more competition to prepare for and pay for. The more of them you have, the more you're going to need dedicated people who do this for a job.

Big Bird
02-06-2006, 10:54 PM
And then of course if it is a "World Championship" - what part of the world do you have it in? Do you rotate around different countries? I trust that we don't just assume a "world championship" gets held in the US?

Without wishing to cry poor, it costs a bucket load of money to fly a team and a car around the world - not to mention the huge extra load in manpower and organization. We are just students on this side of the globe as well, and our time commitments to our studies is just as great.

With the premise of this competition being hold an affordable engineering design competition, I don't think the concept of wanting "world champions" really works. Too high stakes. Nah, let's just leave it a bunch of national comps.

Wright D
02-07-2006, 12:05 AM
I did not say top teams would be required to attend, they would merely be invited. A team could always elect to not attend.
The championship event could rotate between all of the locations that national fsae events are held at now. So the travel expenses would be spread evenly. Having the championship event in the same locations as current fsae competitions would mean that the same trained personal could run both, and the same venue to host both.

And since the competition to crown a world champ would be rather small compared to the one in Detroit; less man power would be needed to run it as well. Let's say that the world championship event is capped at 35 teams, which would be ¼ of the teams in Detroit. That is a lot smaller event.

Garlic
02-07-2006, 08:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wright D:
Having the championship event in the same locations as current fsae competitions would mean that the same trained personal could run both, and the same venue to host both.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't get it do you? The venue costs money and has to be scheduled. Volunteers are very appreciated for thier efforts, but just because they are willing to do it once a year doesn't mean they are automatic for twice a year.

It's not easy doing an event, it's a LOT of work. I don't care if you have 10 cars or 140. Do you really propose that dozens of volunteers get together and a smaller number work all year to prepare for an event, just so you can say you have a world champ? You expect more sponsors to step up and make the event possible, just so you can say you have a world champ? Surely you're joking. And even then, if one of the schools can't or doesn't attend, it's not really a world champ, anyway. Yea, it's a nice thought, but it's not that important.

Dan G
02-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Here's an easy solution. Just call the Michigan event the world championship. Yeah, I like that idea (says the guy from Detroit).

Seriously though, the only reason that the event has grown to separate venues across the globe is to allow more teams to enter and give distant teams a closer/cheaper place to race.

So trying to reconsolidate the competition back into some kind of championship is opposite of the direction its going. For the time being, the MI event will continue to be the featured event.

What I'd like to see would be a SAE (or event supporter) sponsored travel package for the top few cars from FSAE-AUS and FStudent to attend the following year's FSAE-MI event. Not all inclusive or anything, but make it much easier for the international teams to make the trip across the ponds. I'm thinking the package could cover vehicle transport (bulk ship the cars at the same time) and hotel rooms, the teams would still have to fund their own plane tickets and other travel expenses.

Taking a team/car across the ocean seems like an incredible expense, I don't know how you guys manage it. Sometimes I take for granted the fact that our "voyage" to competition is only about an hour by car and we can sleep at home if we choose. You international travelers have to contend with a huge amount of logistics that we've never even tasted.

Kevin Hayward
02-07-2006, 09:59 AM
I think there could be a world championship

To be effective it would depend on competition sponsors (worldwide) covering the cost of travel.

If something like that was run it should be advertised and televised, scrutinized and immortalised. I'm sure with some work it could be marketed well to be a strong drawcard for the automotive manufacturers and provide even more incentive to the local comps.

It would also have to be done in a way that does not overly advantage one country. A traveling world comp like the Olympics or the World Cup would be great. Get the Automotive companies to host it (like Australia used to be) one after another in different locations.

Gather great judges and companies. It could be a great event.

This sort of approach does have the dangers of increased commercialisation and a widening budget gap between winning and non-winning teams. However the gap is already widening and companies are seeing advantages to aligning themselves with certain teams already. FSAE is exploding in size and support at the moment. Trying to stop it will be near on impossible.

I think it should be welcomed and the competition should adapt. A world comp raises the stakes and raises the chance for student burn-out and over-commercialisation. However it also raises the profile of the immense amount of work that is going in to build these cars.

Kev

Storbeck
02-08-2006, 01:26 AM
I think the world championship should be where the weather is nicest and there are the most hot women, so that probably goes to either Austrailia or SAE West.

And somebody should pay for me to go there.

edit: beer quality is also a factor, but that debate could get ugly.

Wright D
02-08-2006, 08:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Garlic:
You don't get it do you? The venue costs money and has to be scheduled. Volunteers are very appreciated for thier efforts, but just because they are willing to do it once a year doesn't mean they are automatic for twice a year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What if the championship competition were to be held immediately after a regularly scheduled event; much like the brief Road and Track competition in Detroit, then some teams would not have to travel to a location twice. That way the venue is only used once, and the volunteers don't have to come back a second time.

I do realize that this whole world champ thing will probably never happen, but I think it is fun to think about it. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Nima
02-09-2006, 04:05 AM
I don't know about the US competitions but I whave wanted to tell everyone that we are trying to sit for formula student class 3.
I think this is the first team from Iran...
It's maybe become releated by someones to Iran's Nuclear programms!!!
what is you all ideas?!

Frank
02-12-2006, 05:45 PM
isn't the world championship in germany this year?

bearcaaat
02-13-2006, 08:41 AM
What is up with this FISITA Cup? Is it suppose to be the World Championship?

Greg H
03-19-2006, 01:47 PM
March CDS Newsletter (http://www.sae.org/students/cdsnewsletter0306.pdf)
It seems all events on Sunday including design finals will be off-site and Saturday will be the last day at MPG. What's going to happen to the R&T shootout? I don't suppose GM will let us tear ass around their parking lot.