PDA

View Full Version : Some different teams news?

roadrunner
07-12-2004, 09:29 AM
As someone already asked, it would be nice to know the news from some of the other teams a little further down the order. We do always seem to hear about RMIT, Toronto, Wollongong etc and although you guys do a fantastic job, some of us little guys would like some recognition too. If any other teams want to share their exploits, that would be bloody marvellous.

This is the story of Oxford Brookes 2004 ISIS-04 chassis:

The car was finished a week yesterday (last sunday eve) due to some problems regarding suppliers. The engine was dropped in straight out the dyno.

Next morning (monday) we were go for testing and it wouldnt start, it didnt start for 3 more days. We removed half our trick stuff from our engine and adjusted our map accordingly. This brought our power and torque down but we still had 106 bhp after the rebuild and that was ok.

Big thanks to Michel from MoTec here. Without his tireless efforts, including a 2 hour stint in the freezing rain at Whilton Mill Kart track at 10pm thursday night wearing just shorts and t-shirt we wouldnt be at the event at all.

Friday morning and shes still being a bitch but she starts, she is however impossible to drive.

Sat morning our driver Jiggy, starts her on the button and passes noise and brake test with 1 attempt. Then goes straight into autocross with no testing and sets a reasonable lap but is 7 secs off RMIT. Then sets a faster one knocking off 4 secs.

Drivers 2 (Skint) and 3 (Phil) then attempt the accel and skidpan with 5 mins of running on the test track.
Phil acheives a 4.71 in the wet on the accel and a 21 ish on the skid pan.

Second go on the autocross and its obvious the gearbox is loosening up as driver 4 (Tom) goes faster than Jiggy, just, straight out the box with no running time in the car at all.

Sunday and were looking forward to the Enduro. Both our cars are alive and well (ISIS-03B was in the 200 class) and the engines were intact and starting everytime on the button. This was amazing for us.

Running one after the other on the track the 04 car just got quicker and quicker. After a steady stint from Tom in the low 56 sec range, Jiggy went out and started hammering it round. Knocking a second off each lap at one point, and he got it down to 52.2 (second fastest lap). Then a hose went on the cooling system and we lost all the water 7 laps from the end, it looked like a steam train.
Jiggy slowed down but only a bit, the last lap was a 57.3.

142 the oil temp reached and this moring with no work done other than topping up the levels she started on the button, first time!!!!!!

First UK team second year in a row and 7th overall. Were chuffed. Comiserations to Brunel who i`m sure would of given us a major run for our money without their engine failures and to Lancaster who were right on our arse. Their car looked super fast and i believe it was named Laura? Makes it a bitch then as it shares the same names as my recent ex girlfriend!!!!!!!

Well done RMIT and i look forward to giving you a proper contest at FSAE-A later this year. Got a few new engine tricks on the way and with a few months testing were hoping to turn some heads!!!!

As for Pat, you lovely man you, with your judging and continual questions and never giving me a chance to breathe let alone think. I look forward to proving you wrong. Not possible to beat 100 bhp with 20mm restrictor? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif you just wait and see!!!!!

Robin

Arvin
07-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Hey Robin,

I am from the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor. When you guys came for the Formula SAE competition you borrowed our muffler. I was wondering if you could ship it back to us.

University of Michigan
Wilson Project Center
Attn: Steve Rumple
2603 Draper St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
USA

It is a Suzuki muffler.

Thanks.