PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Static Event Schedule

Michael Jones
04-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Looks like the static event schedule with bays is released. And has been for a while. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I wish SAE would learn to crosspost things here, saves people here from having to steal things from them.

http://www.formulasae.org/forums/formula/dispatch.cgi/announcements

So, plan your Thursday.

Michael Jones
04-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Looks like the static event schedule with bays is released. And has been for a while. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I wish SAE would learn to crosspost things here, saves people here from having to steal things from them.

http://www.formulasae.org/forums/formula/dispatch.cgi/announcements

So, plan your Thursday.

Charlie
04-30-2004, 10:05 AM
Once again this year looks like the judges have put the cars that are expected to do well in design 1st (8-9 AM). All the top 10, + OSU, UTA, Leeds, Toronto, etc. I wonder why that is. I guess to get a good baseline. But last year, many of those cars didn't make semifinals. So I hope we have better luck this time.

Dick Golembiewski
04-30-2004, 10:16 AM
The cars are assigned to the various design bays based upon the reports you submit on 1 March. You are correct in that an attempt is made to set a good baseline for the judges, as there are some new ones every year. It is also necessary to balance each group in terms of perceived quality.

You will, of course, be judged on what you bring as well as upon your knowledge of what you did.

Design reviews have been distributed and are being reviewed by us. If a team would like feedback on their design report, please let me know and I will bring it with me to the competition.

- Dick

Dick Golembiewski
04-30-2004, 11:03 AM
I should add that the feedback I'm talking about here will be on the design report you submitted and not the technical merits of your design. For that you have to grab us at the competition.

One request per entrant please. My feedback will be distributed at the competition, sometime on Friday or Saturday. (That way I know the team got it and not just an individual member.)

As I've said here in the past, at the competition, be sure to understand what you're asking for. There are usually three requests:

1. Why didn't we do well in design?

2. What can we do to improve?

3. What do you think of our car?

If you ask the latter you will get the personal opinion of the individual(s) you ask. That may or not be the same as how you were judged. I can disagree with a design, but if it is well executed and the students exhibit a clear understanding of what they were trying to do, they will likely score higher in design than some others.

The first two are tougher to answer. If you don't make the semi-finals or finals, and if the judge you inquire of didn't see the car in the first round, what you are likely to get are some general comments on the design, as well as how the car was executed. (Hint: You can ask any of us who are around the whole week - and you should, but be sure to make note of who is in the group that judges you in the first round and seek them out.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...But last year, many of those cars didn't make semifinals. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are certainly cars (and student understanding) that don't match the quality of the report (You can write a design report based on those submitted in previous years.) and vice versa. (It doesn't count toward the point total, so some schools submit the minimum needed to get by.)

The fact that a bunch of "the usual suspects" didn't make the semi-finals should be a kick in the butt to them, as well as an encouragement to everyone else that you can.

- Dick

James Waltman
04-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Dick,
I would love to get some feedback on the Design Review we submitted. Do I need to do anything more than ask here?

We got an 8:30am Design Event spot. It looks like we'll have our work cut out for us. That's some very stiff competition.

Western Washington University Car #35

Dick Golembiewski
04-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Jim (and others),

Asking here is sufficient.

The deadline will be Sunday 16 May, as I need time to prepare all of the feedback sheets. Nonetheless, sooner is better.

Based strictly on my first glance at all of the design reports, my guess is that once again there has been a big leap in the "mid-pack" cars and subsequently an increase in overall quality. What you bring, of course, is a different story.

- Dick

Denny Trimble
04-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Dick,
We're interested in your feedback. Thanks for offering to do this!

Denny Trimble
University of Washington #60

Brent Howard
04-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Dick,

We would appreciate any feedback that you have. We are car #27 this year.

Thanks,

Brent

Charlie
04-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Mr. Golembiewski-

Please provide feedback for Auburn's #5 as well. We are especially interested in your feedback because our advisor told us in so many words that it was an absolutely terrible report.

BStoney
04-30-2004, 01:00 PM
Dick, Cincinnati would like your feedback as well. Car #43

Dan Deussen @ Weber Motor
04-30-2004, 01:39 PM
SVSU #64 would appreciate feeback as well!

Thank you,

mizzouracing
04-30-2004, 02:09 PM
University of Missouri Columbia would also like to hear some feedback, we are car #2, please email us or stop by our paddock area in Detroit.

Thank you,
Eric Attebery
SAE@missouri.edu

PatClarke
04-30-2004, 06:36 PM
Dick,
You'll be sorry http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
I offered feedback obn design reports last year and was almost overwhelmed. To this day I am not sure that I answered everybody.

Seriously, I am sure the teams appreciate having design judges that are available for feedback.

Regards
PDR

Dick Golembiewski
04-30-2004, 07:12 PM
My good Irish rodent friend, living in the land of some of my favorite stouts:

That's why the SAE pays us the big bucks! &lt;grin&gt;

- Dick

RFR Joe
04-30-2004, 08:14 PM
Dick,

Rutgers University, car #29, would greatly appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance.

-Joe Cowin
Rutgers Formula Racing (http://rfr.rutgers.edu)

Marc Jaxa-Rozen
04-30-2004, 08:25 PM
This rookie team would appreciate some feedback as well...École Nationale d'Aérotechnique, #137.

Thanks a lot!

Marc Jaxa-Rozen
École Nationale d'Aérotechnique

jerktaculus
05-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Hey Dick,

University of Toronto #43 would like feedback too. I just read through ours again - it's funny how some of the finer points and predictions change over the course of dynamic and static testing. Can't wait to see this mid-pack rise in quality - we are very eager over here to hit the ground in michigan - but need some hot days too.

Jeremy Koudelka
Technical Director
University of Toronto Formula SAE

vinHonda
05-01-2004, 06:02 PM
University of Toronto is #94.

Jeremy needs sleep.

Vinh

Hoosier Daddy
05-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Carleton University, team 13, would love your feedback on our Design Report.

...Vin, that was CLASSIC! I know what you mean by needing sleep...

Dave Riley
05-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Hi Dick

If you'd add University of Western Australia (Car 142) to the list we'd appreciate it!

Thanks
David

Matt at MTU
05-02-2004, 01:30 PM
Dick,

Michigan Tech would appreciate some feedback on our design report for the #98 car.

Thanks,
Matt

Tidexcab99
05-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Dick,

The University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa would also like your feedback for the #48 car.

Thanks,
David
hovat001@bama.ua.edu

Eddie Martin
05-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Dick,

The University of Wollongong would also like your feedback for car #1.

Thanks
Eddie Martin

Tinman
05-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Dick,

California State University Northridge would like your feedback also for car #10.

Thanks,
Tin Bui
sae@csun.edu

Micah Bayless
05-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Please add UCSD #96 to your list. It's our first report together as a reborn team. 1998 and 1999's UCSD FSAE reports proved somewhat vague and too in-depth to appreciate.

Thanks for your volunteered effort.

albrewe
05-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Dick,
The University of New Mexico would greatly appreciate your comments on car #37.

Thanks,
Andy

El Mug
05-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Hi Dick, La Universidad Simón BolÃ*var would really appreciate if you can give us feedback on our report. We are number 76.

Thanks

Josh C
05-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Hi Dick,

The University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign would appreciate your feedback for car number 30.

Thanks,
Josh Callaway
UIUC FSAE
http://sae.ec.uiuc.edu/

Wildcat13
05-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Dick,

The University of Arizona (#110) would love some feedback.

Thanks,
Ryan Kanto
University of Arizona FSAE

jdstuff
05-03-2004, 05:43 PM
Dick,

The University of Akron car #58 would also appreciate some feedback.

Thanks a bunch,

Michael Jones
05-03-2004, 08:19 PM
Is there any team here that actively resists feedback? I sure hope not.

Cornell (#9) can be added to this growing request list - and thanks Dick and Pat for understanding the value of feedback and taking the extra time required to make it happen.

I wish I could bottle that commitment and slip it into the decaf of a few people in my home department. A couple of months ago I was told, verbatim, "as an evaluator, it's not my job to give you feedback."

Lines like this, no wonder I've been here so freaking long. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ben Beacock
05-04-2004, 07:31 AM
University of Guelph, car #25 would also appreciate feedback on our report. If the exponentially growing workload is getting too much, you could do ours after the competition.

Clay Corbett
05-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Dick,

I see you have quite a list going, but if you still have enough time the University of Colorado-Boulder (car #120) would appreciate any feedback you have.

Thanks,
Clay

Mad Ruska
05-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Hello Dick,

University of Applied Sciences Stralsund #114 would appreciate any feedback you have. Mebay we can talk about by drinking a German Beer AFTER the Event!

Thanks
Frank from Germany

Raphaël Rochette
05-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Hi Dick!
Any feedback about Laval University (Car #26) would be greatly appreciated by the whole team.

Thanks a lot

Raphaël Rochette
Université Laval
http://www.gmc.ulaval.ca/fsae

SeanZasada
05-06-2004, 12:41 AM
Wow, quite the list!

Dick, can you please provide some feedback to the University of Manitoba (car #101) on our Design Report. We have several team members graduating, and feedback would be greatly appreciated for our younger members to carry on for next year.

In the years that I have attended competition, we have never gotten any comments on our design reports. I am sure most teams can say the same. Hopefully you have enough time to do this.

Thank you in advance for your help

carcar
05-06-2004, 03:47 PM
Dick,

Oakland University, car #21, would like feedback from the design review.

Thanks!!

Carly
2004 OU FSAE

Sam Zimmerman
05-06-2004, 04:58 PM
Dick,

We would like some feedback as well. We put quite a bit into ours and I can't help but notice that we are in the 4:30 time slot.

I am sure the judges will aprreciate the late day suprise when they see the quality of our car, however. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks

Dick Golembiewski
05-06-2004, 07:18 PM
Sam,

Are you looking at the same schedule I am? I see you in Bay H at 1:00pm. Or (since you didn't give me your university or car number) is there another "Vandals"?

Just to clarify, a late slot doesn't mean a bad report. It is important to have some good standards for the judges, and a list is selected and sent on to the folks doing the master scheduling. Some get early slots and others don't. There are other considerations re: getting a smooth schedule for all of the static events.

Just to put things in perspective, I have as many cars in my design judging bay as showed up for the 1983 Midwest Mini-Baja, which I ran. The logistics are a challenge nowadays.

- Dick

DJHache
05-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Dick, the University of Texas - Austin car 15 would appreciate feedback

Sam Zimmerman
05-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Thanks Dick. I don't know what I was looking at. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I could imagine the logistics being crazy but it seems to me the most difficult part would be staying engaged throughout the day. I can't imagine the number of times the judges hear, "Steel space frame, CBR, non-equal length, non-parallel ..."

ethanL007
05-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Dick,

It doesn't look like this list is quite long enough, aside from the fact that the #36 (UNH) report was terrible what other feedback would you be willing to provide?

Thanks a bunch.

Dick Golembiewski
05-08-2004, 11:07 AM
Ethan,

If you are formally requesting feedback (and not just asking what else I'll say other than "It's terrible", as I haven't looked at it in detail yet.) I'll bring feedback with me to the competition.

- Dick

ethanL007
05-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Dick,

feedback in Detroit would be more then welcomed, if you have time.

Thank you,

Nate Notta
05-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Dick,

We would love to get feedback on our report if you have time for us as well,
thanks in advance,

Nathan
University of Windsor, Car #18

Jared Garvey
05-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Dick,

The University of Pittsburgh car number 69 would appreciate the feedback as well.

Thanks,

Jared Garvey
University of Pittsburgh

mtg
05-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Dick,
I'll add to that long list, University of Missouri - Rolla #12 would appreciate feedback also.

Thanks,
Matt Giaraffa

Dominic Venieri
05-14-2004, 09:48 AM
Dick,

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (#75) would greatly appreciate your feedback on our design report and we look forward to speaking with you in the paddocks as well.

Thank you!

Dominic Venieri

Dick Golembiewski
05-25-2004, 01:13 PM
It was an interesting weekend. I saw cars on course during the "dry" autocross, but never had the chance during the endurance, as I was wandering through the paddock talking to teams (I hope it was useful), holding impromptu meetings, etc.

I did short design report feedback sheets for all of the cars in my design cue, as well as for those of you who asked. I distributed two-thirds of them. What often happened as that the car was on course when I was looking for you, and I was with someone else when you were available. (The rain Friday cut down our time as well.) You may have noticed that a bunch of us roamed around at night as well.

I have one-page design review feedback sheets for the following:

#1 Wollongong
#10 Cal State Northridge
#21 Oakland
#12 Missouri - Rolla
#27 Calgary
#29 Rutgers
#36 New Hampshire
#48 Alabama
#60 Washington
#68 Carnegie Mellon
#90 Singapore
#101 Manitoba
#142 Western Australia

Give me an email address and I'll send along a MS Word file.

- Dick

Brent Howard
05-25-2004, 01:21 PM
Dick,

Please send Calgary's #27 to Brent.Howard_nospam@pennwest.com

Thanks again for the feedback,

Brent

Dave Riley
05-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks Dick,

If you could send Western Australia's sheet to me at dw_riley@hotmail.no.spam.com it would be appreciated.

Thanks
David

David Kieke
05-27-2004, 04:33 AM
Thanks for taking the time to look these over. Please send Oakland University's sheet (#21) to dckieke@oakland.edu

Thanks,
David

Eddie Martin
05-27-2004, 07:00 AM
Dick,

Thanks for putting them together. You can send Wollongong's one to eddiem@speedlink.nospam.com.au

Regards
Eddie

Sam Zimmerman
05-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Dick,

I don't know what happened but we didn't receive one and are not on your list. If it is still possible, the U of Idaho, #62, would like your feedback.

Thank you,
zimm2280@uidaho.edu

Denny Trimble
05-27-2004, 07:05 PM
Dick,
Thanks for spending time on this! You can send the University of Washington feedback to me at dennyt@u.washington.edu

Dick Golembiewski
05-28-2004, 03:35 PM
I was out of town Thursday, and checking things from another computer. I've sent feedback forms to those of you who gave me your email address. I hope it helps.

- Dick

Kevin Hall
05-30-2004, 07:46 AM
Dick

If possible, send one for the University of Saskatchewan (car 87) to knh208@no.spam.mail.usask.ca