PDA

View Full Version : Single Rear Brake Location

Jason H
02-15-2012, 12:59 AM
Hi everyone, I'm with the UCI team. The car in question isn't actually our FSAE car, but a natural gas car with around 15 hp. We want to run a single rear brake because packaging would make it very difficult for us to fit dual inboard or outboard brakes at the back.

However, mounting the rotor on the diff itself presents quite a challenge as well, as there isn't a lot of clearance between the diff and the bottom members of the chassis.

We're strongly considering attaching the rotor to the right-hand stub axle,but I'm concerned that this will lead to instability during braking while turning, as I imagine this will be similar to having a brake on only one rear wheel. We do have a Quaife LSD, however, so I'm thinking that perhaps the diff would mitigate this effect? Input/advice is much appreciated.

Jason H
02-15-2012, 12:59 AM
Hi everyone, I'm with the UCI team. The car in question isn't actually our FSAE car, but a natural gas car with around 15 hp. We want to run a single rear brake because packaging would make it very difficult for us to fit dual inboard or outboard brakes at the back.

However, mounting the rotor on the diff itself presents quite a challenge as well, as there isn't a lot of clearance between the diff and the bottom members of the chassis.

We're strongly considering attaching the rotor to the right-hand stub axle,but I'm concerned that this will lead to instability during braking while turning, as I imagine this will be similar to having a brake on only one rear wheel. We do have a Quaife LSD, however, so I'm thinking that perhaps the diff would mitigate this effect? Input/advice is much appreciated.

PatClarke
02-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Hi,

Imagine driving your car with two outboard rear brakes.

Now imagine driving that car if one rear caliper had seized and no longer works.

Okay, now redesign your brake system =]

Pat

theTTshark
02-17-2012, 01:35 AM
Jason to put Mr. Clarke's point another way. If a diff can transfer torque left to right from the engine, think about what the torque from a single brake will do.

kcapitano
02-17-2012, 08:26 AM
May I ask why you need a limited slip diff on a car with only 15 HP? What is the purpose of this car? If you're really concerned with space you could run a very small open diff, or even a spool (with a spool you could put your brake wherever you want too).