PDA

View Full Version : Cost Event - Discussion at the comp?

Buz
11-22-2004, 06:07 AM
Hi all,

I'm coordinating the cost event for the Adelaide Uni team in FSAE-A next week and was wondering if anyone could clarify what actually occurs during the cost event at the competition. The part where we must outline the manufacturing processes for 2 randomly chosen components seems clear. However the remaining "discussion at the competition" is not. Is this essentially just a question and answer session with the judges about our cost analysis as well as the manufacturing feasibility of the vehicle? Or do we actually need to prepare a structured presentation to justify our chosen manufacturing methods based upon cost?

Any help here gretaly appreciated with only 10 days to go! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Buz
11-22-2004, 06:07 AM
Hi all,

I'm coordinating the cost event for the Adelaide Uni team in FSAE-A next week and was wondering if anyone could clarify what actually occurs during the cost event at the competition. The part where we must outline the manufacturing processes for 2 randomly chosen components seems clear. However the remaining "discussion at the competition" is not. Is this essentially just a question and answer session with the judges about our cost analysis as well as the manufacturing feasibility of the vehicle? Or do we actually need to prepare a structured presentation to justify our chosen manufacturing methods based upon cost?

Any help here gretaly appreciated with only 10 days to go! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Miss Muffins
11-22-2004, 08:00 PM
I believe the cost report 'presentation' such as it is involves the judges asking you about those two random components, and then I think the general idea is that they will question you on different components of the car, specifically if they believe the cost is not justified. So I'm pretty sure it is not a formal presentation, but more informal.

Hope that helps!

you chump
11-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Basically it's as Muffins said, they may ask you to explain any dodginess in your cost report. For example, if your schmick aluminium billet wheels cost $40 each, they will wonder why (and how we can get some more done like that!). So if you are going to fudge the figures, do so with some degree of realism to it... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Greg H
11-22-2004, 11:33 PM
In Detroit I drew a card that had two random items from that list on it so know them all. Then there was a discussion about lean manufacturing that you should know as well. We did not have anybody even look at our car or ask us questions about it. If your cost report was accurate, then you shouldn't have to worry about any questions from the judges. That's what I got from it at least. I think we got about $300 or so in deductions, mostly from labor items.

Buz
11-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Cheers. This is pretty much what I figured. Is it a good idea to prepare some kind of speech as an introduction or would this be a waste of time?

I guess I'll be seeing you in Weribee Muffins?

Miss Muffins
11-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Buz, course i'll be there, someone's gotta provide the team with muff..ins...hehe